The CIHLMU Center for International Health expects from its PhD candidates to be aware and responsible of their own funding situation during their entire PhD study duration, as the CIHLMU does not fund research itself. Any research expenses have to be covered by the researcher or the respective partner institution. Adequate funding for the research expenses themselves has to be secured and documented by each applicant upon application to the PhD program.
Only in cases of serious but unsuccessful efforts of candidates in applying for additional funds covering living and study expenses at external funding entities, the CIHLMU may consider issuing scholarships for promising and at the same time needy candidates. This also applies to needy candidates who have already successfully applied for an external scholarship which does not cover one or more of the items mentioned below. Thus, selected outstanding candidates for the CIHLMU PhD program that are official citizens of countries defined as low and middle income countries according to the DAC country list may be eligible for a PhD scholarship. As the total amount of available scholarships is limited, the application process stays highly competitive. Which scholarships are currently available is outlined below.
Please note that in any case the issuing of scholarship always depends on the availability of respective funding and is thereby subject to the funding situation of the CIHLMU itself!
Currently available scholarships at CIHLMU for PhD intake 2017, 2018 and 2019
Module Block (MB) II: January to March 2020, 2021 & 2022
1. Scholarship for Travel Expenses
This scholarship includes one round trip flight between the country of residence of the applicant or the country where the research project is located and Munich, Germany. This flight may only be used for travels to Germany at the beginning of MB II and back from Germany to the home or research country at the end of MB II.
2. Scholarship for Stay in Munich
This scholarship includes a monthly allowance of 1000 EUR for the period during the MB II from January to March spent in Munich, Germany. Mandatory health and liability insurance fees, rent for accommodation in the student dormitory and student service fees will be deducted from the above stated monthly allowance.
Defense Period: 2020, 2021 & 2022
1. Scholarship for Travel Expenses
This scholarship includes one round trip flight between the country of residence of the applicant or the country where the research project is located and Munich, Germany. This flight may only be used for travels to Germany at the beginning of the Defense Period and back from Germany to the home or research country at the end of the Defense Period.
2. Scholarship for Accomodation in Munich
This scholarship entails the costs for accomodation during the Defense Period in Munich, Germany.
Scholarship payments may be stopped at any time in case of severe misbehavior as well as due to insufficient performance!
Conditions for application: The scholarships are meant as a backup financing only for those candidates that have seriously tried to find other scholarship sources but failed to receive them. Candidates applying for these scholarships must prove in the course of application their serious efforts to acquire scholarships or funding from other sources (scholarship application files, email communication, letters of inquiry and refusal). Candidates failing to provide this proof of effort will not be awarded a scholarship. It is therefore strongly recommended to all applicants to start as soon as possible to look for scholarship opportunities outside CIHLMU .
Applicants intending to apply for the scholarships will need to submit the following documents:
- Proof of Scholarship Contact: This is a document proving that applicants have tried to apply for an external scholarship, i.e. at scholarship donors other than CIHLMU . This document may be a copy of an application letter, a letter of confirmation from the funding agency or a copy of a comprehensible email communication with an agency indicating appropriate efforts.
- Self-Funding Concept: This is a self-written document that provides understanding of what the applicant's self-funding concept for the duration of the PhD studies is (personal funds, salaries, external scholarships). Direct research costs and the desired scholarship should not be added to the account. The concept has to contain precisely the type and name of scholarship, the volume of the scholarship, name of the institution, exact periods of possible applications, and the reason why the funding agency should choose the candidate for the respective scholarship. Please refer to the Costs document on the CIHLMU website to get an understanding of self-funding costs applicants will have to expect in the course of the PhD program.
The award of scholarships is conditional on strong motivation and efficiency of the candidate. In case of disallowance of the scholarship due to inadequate behaviour, or abruption of the program on behalf of the candidate, the entire scholarship benefits may have to be refunded to CIHLMU . This measure is subject to an individual assessment by the CIHLMU Coordination.
CIHLMU supports the idea of lifelong learning and has not established an age limit for scholarship applications. However, the last earned master level degree (which makes the applicant eligible to admission to the PhD program) may not be older than 6 years (date of degree awarding respective to the beginning of the PhD program).
For external full coverage scholarships, we recommend to consult the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Applicants from Africa, please note the downloadable DAAD information.