The CIHLMU Center for International Health and OH-TARGET (One Health Training And Research Global Network) are two of twelve centers of excellence within the exceed initiative, funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and coordinated by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The vision and overarching aim of CIHLMU is to empower health professionals. With this vision, CIHLMU aspires to meet health-related challenges through capacity building in training and research. With the new OH-TARGET project, our vision has expanded to a more participatory and interdisciplinary approach to improve global health conditions.
For more information about the meaning of One Health and the OH-TARGET project please click here.
In order to support research on topics relevant to One Health, Master and Ph.D. students are invited to apply for the available CIHLMU One Health Scholarships.
Please note that we can currently only offer these scholarships until the end of our OH-TARGET project at the end of 2024. The last scholarship selection will take place in August 2024.
Further information about the One Health Scholarships
Who can apply for CIH One Health Scholarships?
Master and Ph.D. students who are enrolled at LMU Munich (not only CIHLMU , but also other faculties) or an OH-TARGET partner institution completing a study program with a One Health-relevant research project are eligible to apply to the following scholarships. All One Health-relevant research projects are eligible; however, no-LMIC students need to work on a research project that bears a relation to low- and middle-income countries (LMIC). If you are not working on a One Health research project, but would like to attend a One Health event (e.g., a workshop, conference, etc.), you may also apply by explaining why the event is related to the One Health concept.
NEW Alumni of our CIHLMU -owned study programs (i.e. Ph.D. MR-IH, M.Sc. IH, MHPE, MOSH and M.Sc. ComMH) are now also eligible to apply for our travel and accommodation scholarships if the activity to be funded is no more than 60 months after graduation. These scholarships are intended to enable our alumni to participate in scientific events such as conferences, symposia and workshops with an active contribution (e.g. poster or oral presentation).
OH-TARGET partnering institutions are:
- Jimma University (JU), Ethiopia
- National Institute of Medical Research – Mbeya Medical Research Center (MMRC), Tanzania
- Universidade Católica de Beira (UCM), Mozambique
- University of Cape Coast (UCC), Ghana
- Khesar Gyalpo University of Medical Sciences of Bhutan (KGUMSB), Bhutan
- Patan Academy of Health Sciences (PAHS), Nepal
- Universidade Federal do Paraná (UFPR), Brazil
- Universidad Mayor, Real y Pontificia de San Francisco Xavier de Chuquisaca (USFX), Bolivia
- Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala (USAC), Guatemala
What kind of CIH One Health Scholarships do we offer?
The travel scholarships allow eligible Master and Ph.D. students, as well as CIHLMU -owned study program Alumni to travel within Germany, within or between LMIC countries (as per valid DAC list) or between Germany and an LMIC country for project-related reasons (e.g. field work, conferences, module blocks, defenses). This scholarship can only be used for travel expenses of flights or long-distance trains (no taxis or other local public transportation) in accordance with cost-effective and economic principles (only economy class). The travel expenses will be reimbursed upon submission of receipts and proof of payment (e.g. credit card or bank statement) after the traveling.
Accommodation & Subsistence Scholarships
Three different types of accommodation scholarships are available:
a. Duration between 1-22 days
This scholarship allows eligible Master and Ph.D. students to spend project-related short-term stays away from the student’s research site and/ or residence (e.g. for conferences, workshops). Travel by eligible Master and Ph.D. students with a citizenship from a LMIC country (as per valid DAC list) to HICs outside LMU Munich will only be funded for attendance at courses or academic events up to a maximum duration of 14 days. This short-term scholarship can only be used for hotel expenses including breakfast (if stated on the hotel receipt) in accordance with the Bavarian travel expenses act (Bayrisches Reisekostengesetz, BayRKG) and the cost-effective and economic principles. This scholarship cannot be used for any other purpose (e.g. restaurant bills) and the accommodation expenses will be reimbursed upon submission of receipts and proof of payment (e.g. credit card or bank statement) after the stay.
NEW Alumni of our CIHLMU -owned study programs (i.e. Ph.D. MR-IH, M.Sc. IH, MHPE, MOSH and M.Sc. ComMH) are now also eligible to apply for these accommodation scholarships if the activity to be funded is no more than 60 months after graduation. The accommodation scholarship can only be applied for participation in scientific events such as conferences, symposia and workshops if the alumni actively contribute to the event.
b. Duration between 23 days and 3 months
This middle-term scholarship allows eligible Master and Ph.D. students with a citizenship from a LMIC country (as per valid DAC list) to spend project-related time in their research country or at the LMU Munich for e.g. defined study periods abroad. Students with a citizenship from a country not listed in the DAC list are also eligible to apply for this subsistence scholarship as long as their project-related stay will take place in a LMIC country. This scholarship is awarded in the form of a monthly pre-payment.
c. Duration between 3 and 6 months
This long-term scholarship covers subsistence expenses for up to 6 months in form of a monthly pre-payment to eligible Master and Ph.D. students with a citizenship from a LMIC country (as per valid DAC list) whose last earned academic degree is not dating back longer than 6 years at the time of application. Ph.D. students that already started their research thesis projects are only eligible if the start of the project is not dating back longer than 3 years. Furthermore, students with a citizenship from a LMIC country (as per valid DAC list) who are currently in Germany are only eligible if they have not resided in Germany for longer than 15 months at the time point of application. However, this does not apply for applicants who came to Germany to study, to pursue a doctoral study or to fulfill other scientific work. Moreover, persons who have been granted refugee status are also exempt from this regulation. With the signature of the beneficiary it is confirmed that the subsidized individual of the project fulfils the prefixed prerequisites. This scholarship is awarded in the form of a monthly pre-payment.
Scholarships for Supervisor visits
This scholarship allows supervisors from the LMU or an OH-TARGET partner institution to visit their respective students at the research or study site. Please note, eligible Master or Ph.D. students can apply for the scholarship on behalf of their supervisors. However, flights and hotels need to be booked by the supervisors themselves in order to get refunded after the supervisor visit. Furthermore, after the supervisor visit the student needs to write and hand in a report including the agenda and summary of the visit to CIHLMU .
a. Travel Scholarship for Supervisor visits
This scholarship can only be used for flight expenses in accordance with the cost-effective and economic principles (only economy class). The travel expenses will be refunded upon submission of receipts and proof of payment (e.g. credit card or bank statement) after the traveling. Please note, only flights between Germany and a LMIC country (as per valid DAC list) or within LMIC countries can be refunded.
b. Accommodation Scholarship for Supervisor visits
This accommodation scholarship can only be used for hotel expenses including breakfast (if stated on the hotel receipt) in accordance with the Bavarian travel expenses act (Bayerisches Reisekostengesetz, BayRKG) and the cost-effective and economic principles. The period of time in which the supervisor visit takes place must not exceed 7 days, including the arrival and departure day. The hotel expenses will be refunded upon submission of receipts and proof of payment (e.g. credit card or bank statement) after the supervisor visit.
Application period for CIH One Health Scholarships
The call for Applications for the CIHLMU One Health Scholarships is ongoing. The CIHLMU One Health Scholarships application portal will be open all year around. The deadline for the submission of Scholarship Applications for consideration in the same month is every second Thursday of every even-numbered month:
- 08 February 2024
- 11 April 2024
- 06 June 2024 (one week earlier!)
- 08 August 2024 (last scholarship application deadline)
Please find these Application deadlines for the CIHLMU One Health Scholarships also in our CIHLMU Event Calender.
In order to apply for an CIHLMU One Health Scholarship, please provide the following documents (in English or German):
- Scan of your valid passport showing picture and personal data (mandatory)
- Proof of an official university enrollment, e.g. Master studies or Ph.D. program (mandatory)
- Scan of your last official Academic certificates (if applicable)
- Motivation letter: (word count approx. 500) Please outline the reasons why you apply for the scholarship and why you should be awarded the OH-TARGET scholarship. Furthermore, please name us the title of your research project and explain to us why you think it is One Health-relevant. For this, please elaborate in detail your project's connection to the concept of One Health (e.g. through literature research etc.) and make sure to highlight your motivation behind it. Additionally, please outline whether and how your project is relevant to low- and middle-income settings.
IMPORTANT! If you have previously received a One Health Scholarship from CIHLMU , please describe in your motivation letter the progress of your project during the previous scholarship period.
For your Motivation Letter therefore, please make sure to cover all of the following topics respectively and adequately:
- Motivation & need
- Description of research topic
- Relation to One Health
- Relation to LMICs
- If applicable, progress of research project during previous scholarship period
Evaluation and Selection
Only complete applications fulfilling the eligibility criteria and the formal requirements will be reviewed by the Selection Board. Among all scholarship applications, the selection board votes according to strict selection criteria including coherence of the motivation letter and neediness.
The selection of CIHLMU One Health Scholarship awardees will take place on the last Thursday of every even-numbered month (February, April, June, August, October, and December):
- 29 February 2024
- 25 April 2024
- 27 June 2024
- 29 August 2024 (last selection of scholarship awardees)
Please find these dates also in our CIHLMU Event Calender
Results of the evaluation and selection process will be announced to the applicants by email and scholarship awardees will receive a Scholarship Certificate.
- We require documents translated into English or German. Please note that we cannot accept documents in a different language other than English or German.
- Applications that fail to comply with the above requirements will be declined without review.
- Please note that the T&TU Coordination does not send out reminders for missing documentation.
- Scholarships may be withheld in case of severe misconduct or in serious case of deception as well as due to severe insufficient performance.
- Scholarships can only be transferred if the given bank account details are complete and correct. In case of wrong or insufficient information, the respective scholarship holder is responsible for any delays in transaction or loss of scholarship payments.
- According to the current DAAD rules, we are not able to refund cancellation fees. It is the scholarship owners responsibility to make sure that flight, train and hotel bookings will not result in cancellation fees if any cancellations need to be made (incl. Covid-19 related cancellations).
If you are interested in applying for the advertised CIHLMU One Health Scholarships , please apply via our CIHLMU One Health Scholarships application portal.
What happens after the selection?
After you are selected as a scholarship recipient, you will receive a scholarship certificate to sign.
Conditions and regulations
- The scholarship includes the allowances specified in the scholarship certificate. Each scholarship can be used only in accordance with the conditions specified therein.
- Any receipt of additional personal funding has to be declared at the earliest date possible and might lead to the revocation of the scholarship.
- Subsistence scholarships are not intended and should not be used to cover research costs.
- A travel scholarship can only be used for one project-related round trip.
- Travel and accommodation expenses can only be reimbursed if all dcuments are submitted no later than 2 weeks after the trip.
- A scholarship report must be submitted at the end of the scholarship period. Please use the templates below for writing your report.
This scholarships are awarded in the form of a monthly pre-payment. Please submit the scholarship report (template) no later then 4 weeks after the end of the scholarship period.
Travel and Accommodation Scholarships
These scholarships are awarded in the form of a reimbursement.
For reimbursement the following information has to be submitted to CIHLMU :
- Bank account details (template)
- All invoices/receipts (e.g. e-ticket) stating the name and dates of travel
- All corresponding proofs of payment (e.g. credit card or bank account statement)
- Signed Scholarship Certificate
- Scholarship Report (template)
The amount stated in the receipt and proof of payment will be transfered in local currency to the scholarship holder‘s account. Please note that travel and accommodation expenses can only be reimbursed if all documents are submitted no later than 2 weeks after the trip.
Online Info Sessions
We will provide you with detailed information about the scholarships and answer your individual questions.
The next info session will be announced in due time.
How to apply? - Tips & Tricks
Sometimes it's not so easy to understand the application requirements, know what reviewers are looking for, and write a well-structured motivation letter. We would like to provide you with some guidance on how to create the documents/ motivation letter needed to apply for our One Health Scholarships. Competition is increasing, the review committee is becoming more demanding, and the selection process is highly competitive. So attend our event, 'How to Apply? - Tips and Tricks' to learn more about what the review committee might look for in your scholarship application.
The next 'How to apply? - Tips & Tricks' session will be announced in due time.
One Health Scholarship Recipient Network
Next Meeting: 28 June 2023
Registration Deadline: 18 June 2023
Location: online via Zoom
One Health Scholarship recipients have expressed interest in learning more about One Health research projects, conferences, workshops, and symposia other recipients have been working on/attended and sharing their own experiences. Until now, no such space has existed, and we hope to change that with this initiative.
Therefore, we plan to introduce regular meetings where scholarship recipients can share their own experiences, get inspired by other stories, discuss research projects or develop new project ideas in an informal setting. To do so, we have chosen a special style of presentations, called the PechaKucha style. To learn more about the idea behind these meetings, the PechaKucha style and the next steps, please watch the video.
If you would like to participate, please register here. Please note that you will receive an individual link after registration. No general zoom link will be sent.
Resources for creating your PechaKucha style presentation
Learn more aboutPechaKucha from the official PechaKucha website.
You can view previous Pechakucha presentations to gain a better understanding of the format. You can also create your presentation here if you would like.
How to make a PechaKucha presentation for class [for students]
This video shows how to create a Pecha Kucha presentation in Google Slides, PowerPoint or on the Pecha Kucha website itself.
- PechaKucha Google Slides Template - accessible here
- PechaKucha PowerPoint Slide Template - downloadable through Google Drive
If anyone has questions about doing their presentation in Google Slide or auto-advancing slides every 20 seconds this link may help you with that.