This course has been accredited by tropEd Network for Higher Education Institutions in International Health.
Next Dates: April 15 - 25, 2024
Course Language: English
Registration: Registration is open. Please register here.
Registration Deadline: March 31, 2024
Course credits: 3 ECTS
Costs: EUR 600 (plus additional personal travel and accommodation costs)
Location: University of Cape Coast, Ghana
CME points will be applied for.
- Epidemiology of vector borne disease with special reference to Ghana
- Selected arthropods of medical importance
- Basic functional morphology of arthropods of medical importance
- Vector behavior and disease transmission
- Mosquito systematics, sampling techniques and larval survey
- Sampling techniques for vectors other than mosquitoes
- Vector control and challenges
- Insecticide resistance and management
- Methods of evaluation of susceptibility and efficacy of insecticides and control tools
- Molecular techniques used in mosquito control
At the end of the module, the participants will be able to:
- explain the biology and behaviour of mosquitoes and relate it to their control strategies,
- critically discuss the purpose and role of entomological studies in the control of vector-borne diseases,
- compare the life cycle of selected vectors and relate them to the transmission of diseases, and
- apply a range of specialised technical skills relevant to mosquito control.
- Pre-readings will be distributed two weeks prior to course start
- 8 full days, face-to-face-course (full-time attendance is required); NB: this pertains to hybrid version if the final decision is made on 7th May, 2021.
- Dynamic learning methods include: lectures, tutorials, practical work and field trips
- Post-course assignment is due two weeks after the end of the face-to-face-course
- Every participant receives a certificate of attendance and 3 ECTS credit points upon successful completion of the whole course Target group
- Participants are expected to be trained in life sciences with a basic understanding of vector-borne diseases. In terms of entomological training, this course is intended as an introductory course.
If you would like to participate, please register here.
Cancellation policy: For cancellations made before the registration deadline, a non-refundable fee of 100 EUR will be charged. For cancellations made after the registration deadline until the course start, a non-refundable fee of 300 EUR will be charged. In case of no-shows or cancellations from the start of the course, the full course fee will be charged.
For further information, please contact the Teaching & Training Unit in Munich: E-mail: email@example.com
Please note: Ghanaians interested participants should complete the CIHLMU Advanced Module Registration Form OR write to the e-mail below expressing participation and further details will be communicated via mail.
For further information please contact:
Joana Ayettey or Dr. Andreas Kudom, University of Cape Coast, Ghana
To get an idea of what to expect from the course, please watch the video of the Vector Biology and Control Course 2022: