In the module occupational epidemiology (OE) students will be familiarised with the basic methodological concepts as well as current topics of occupational epidemiology via an active and student-centred learning approach. Furthermore, crucial competences for an epidemiologist will be developed.
After active participation in the course, participants will be able to:
- define OE in a global context
- name clinical pictures in OE
- critically evaluate scientific literature in OE with respect to potential limitations due to bias and confounding
- define a study question for an OE study using the PICO and FINER criteria
- describe advantages and disadvantages of the most important epidemiological study designs
- mention basic concepts of exposure assessment in OE, including the use of job-exposure matrices (JEMs)
- select suitable instruments to measure exposure and outcome
- reflect about suitable recruitment methods to obtain a representative sample of their study population
- define and explain the ‘healthy worker effect’
- advance their group working skills in scientific collaboration
- explain the basic ideas of…
- Occupational safety and health interventions
- Economic evaluation of interventions in OE
- The occupational burden of disease concept
- Research on precarious work
Please find the Course Programme here
29 Jan 2024 09:00 — 01 Feb 2024 16:30 CET
Master and PhD students
The students will be actively involved in most sessions through pair work, group work, etc. Thus, readiness for active engagement in the course is the major prerequisite for participation. Besides, basic knowledge about fundamentals of epidemiology (e.g., study design, bias, confounding) is helpful but not obligatory.
Participants will receive a certificate of attendance.
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany
Registration is closed at the moment.
For more information about the course you can get in touch with Dr. Laura Wengenroth
Please note, that this is an interactive seminar including active group work. Thus the number of participants is limited.