The pilot course "Virtual Parasitology Laboratory" (VirParLab) was initiated within the framework of EUGLOH, as a collaboration between the CIHLMU and the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at LMU. With the support of the Creative Production Studio Junge Römer, a virtual 3D laboratory was created using the game engine Unity based on experiment descriptions, inventory lists and interaction scripts created by scientists.
The course starts with an introduction to the apicomplexan parasite "Toxoplasma gondii" and the work in a parasitology lab. Afterwards you can practice the skills learned in the virtual lab simulation which will allow you to get in the shoes of a scientist and work with the apicomplexan parasite Toxoplasma gondii in a computer game-like environment. Thanks to the virtual tutor and protocols provided, you will be able to get basic skills on how to work with this parasite and also the good practices you should adopt in a cell culture laboratory. Get a first impression of the VirParLab here. In the course, you can also find here extra information about this amazing parasite that we recommend you to read. Finally, you can test your knowledge in a quiz and check if you have achieved the learning objectives.
Due to the skills-based orientation, this course prepares you perfectly for an upcoming real-world internships in parasitology and own experiments/projects.
After completing the introduction, the student will be able to...
- … identify laboratory good practices.
- … describe how to maintain an in-vitro culture of Toxoplasma gondii.
- ... explain the parasite life cycle.
- ... describe how to operate generally in a tissue culture laboratory, and particularly in a parasitology laboratory.
- ... explain how to work in sterility as well as how to operate common laboratory tools, recording and analysis of obtained data.
Duration: 2 weeks (~ 8 hours)
Concept: Asynchronous online course
Target group: Undergraduate students in health-related programs, e.g. veterinary medicine, human medicine, public health and biology, etc.
Place: Online ( CIHLMU Moodle Platform)
Steps to enroll in the module:
- Log in here
- If you have a Moodle account with us, please click "Continue" otherwise click "cancel"
- If you chose the "cancel" option, please fill in all the requested data and press "Create my new account"
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com