This course has been accredited by tropEd Network for Higher Education Institutions in International Health.
Next Dates: March 04 - 08, 2024
Course Language: English
Registration: opens in due time
Registration Deadline: February 18, 2024
Course credits: 3 ECTS
Costs: EUR 600
Location: Tuerkenstrasse 89, 80799 Munich, Germany
Requirement: a basic understanding of public health concepts and some familiarity with statistical methods (from Descriptives to simple linear regression)
- Theoretical background on concepts of health geography and spatial epidemiology
- Use of GISs in epidemiology and health care
- Selected quantitative methods used in health geography and spatial epidemiology
- Presentation of spatial distribution of diseases, health determinants, and geographical aspects of health care
- Processing and analysis of self-collected data into a GIS
- Creation and presentation of maps on different health topics
At the end of the module, the participants will be able to:
- critically discuss the relationship between health and geography,
- explain spatial disparities in health,
- apply GPS methods to create maps on health indicators in a given environment,
- apply basic functions of a geographic information system (GIS) for spatial distribution and analysis in epidemiology, and
- discuss underlying problems of the analysis with spatial data.
Public health professionals, epidemiologists, researchers, health policy planners, and anyone interested in the confluence of geography and health.
Registration für 2024 will be opened in due time.
Cancellation policy: For cancellations made before the registration deadline, a non-refundable fee of 100 EUR will be charged. For cancellations made after the registration deadline until the course start, a non-refundable fee of 300 EUR will be charged. In case of no-shows or cancellations from the start of the course, the full course fee will be charged.